New York State Moves to Ban Fish Pedicures, Giving Nemo the Royal Flush
Fuhgeddaboudit! Fish pedicures in which doctor fish (otherwise known as Garra rufa), a type of toothless carp, suck dead skin off the client's feet may soon be getting the boot in New York State, as State Senator Jeffrey Klein has drafted a new bill banning the treatment, the New York Post reports.
Fish Pedicure. Photo: Getty Images/Flickr RF Go fish?
Should the legislation pass, New York would become the 15th state including Massachusetts and Pennsylvania to forbid the unconventional beauty practice, which was introduced to the States last year, according to the paper.
"Sometimes, people might think that something sounds cool, 'It's trendy. Let me try it,'" Klein, a Democrat from the Bronx, told the paper.
"They should know the ramifications. This is something that is dangerous and clearly unsanitary. Once we shed some light on this dirty little process, more people will avoid it and we can ban it."
Besides the obvious deterrent of sticking your feet in a tub full of fish, health and safety concerns have cast doubt on the piscine pedi treatment namely, that the fish could spread infections from person to person via open wounds, health officials told the Post.
The Department of State, which regulates beauty salons, has also expressed interest in investigating the fishy fad, spokesman Joel Barkin told the paper, saying, "This is something that for a whole number of reasons we would be concerned about. This may already be something that's not allowed under a current law."
We love a good beauty craze, but we draw the line at letting Nemo gnaw on our bunions. And besides if we wanted something slimy to nibble on our toes, we'd call our ex-boyfriends.
Check out these pedicure tips to keep your feet out of harm's way.
Leave a Comment
Tags for New York State Moves to Ban Fish Pedicures, Giving Nemo the Royal Flush
Make Up and Makeup Artist newest
- Sephora Launches BeautyTalk, an Online Community for the Beauty Obsessed
- Makeup Artist Gina Brooke Shares Madonna's Beauty Secrets
- Dolce & Gabbana Lip Jewels, Straight Off the Spring 2011 Runway
- Beauty Trends From Milan Fashion Week Spring 2011
- Adriana Lima on Losing Her Baby Weight, Bombshell Fragrance and DIY Workout Tricks
- Win a Harper's Bazaar Accessories Gift Bag - Worth More Than ,200
- Pretty, Competitive: Urban Decay's 'Manhunt' and Matrix's 'Mannequin Mania'
- Gwen Stefani on Red Lipstick, Harajuku Lovers & Career vs. Motherhood
- Givenchy Goes Red for Holiday 2010 with Vintage Makeup Collection
- Would You Wear It? Seven Fashion Week Trends to Try (or Not)
Make Up and Makeup Artist older
- Does Eyeliner Make Your Eyes Look Smaller? Here's a Trick For You
- Marc Jacobs in Makeup for NARS Book
- Beauty BLab - Kiss Breast Cancer Good-Bye
- Backstage Beauty: The 5 Best Makeup Looks From the Paris Runways
- What’s your beauty talent?
- Eye Look of the Day: Kim Kardashian's Pretty Peachy-Gold Shadow
- Louis Vuitton Spring 2010 - Big Haired Beauties With Bows
- It's Reader Appreciation Day! Check Out These Pretty Smiling Faces Wearing Bold Lipstick
- What Do You Use to Apply Your Foundation?
- Rachel Weisz Shows Us All a Nice Twist on the Smoky Eye Look