How to Pull Off Summer's Bright Lip Colors
While her performance may have been the highlight of the night at the Tony Awards, it was Lea Michele's magenta lips that should get a standing ovation
Not only did the color look perfect with her skin tone but the contrast to her anything but mellow-yellow gown made one of the biggest fashions statements of the evening. Want to make a statement of your own? We've got some surefire tips to help you pull off bold lips in any shade.
1. Prep to perfection. Bright colors highlight every little flake, so it's critical that you condition lips before you apply. Rub them gently with a damp washcloth and follow with a rich moisturizing balm. We like Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15. Let it sink in and blot the excess. Avoid using foundation or lip primer as a base both diute vivid colors and make them look milkier, warns makeup artist Troy Surratt.
2. Stay inside the lines. Stop color from bleeding by filling in your mouth with a lip liner or stain that matches your lipstick shade. The dry texture will act like a magnet and keep color in place.
3. Be less exact. Apply lipstick with a brush or straight from the tube, then finish by tapping your finger along the mouth's border to soften any hard lines. Putting on bold shades too precisely looks outdated. 4. Finish with a clean slate. A little tip from the stage: Once your lipstick is on, stick your index finger in your mouth, close your lips, and pull it out to remove residue on the inside that could stain teeth. Finish with a touch of blush, a few coats of mascara, and groomed brows and you're good to go! Sophia Panych, Editorial Assistant P.S. Try these other tips for pulling off bold lips!
Leave a Comment
Tags for How to Pull Off Summer's Bright Lip Colors
Make Up and Makeup Artist newest
- Sephora Launches BeautyTalk, an Online Community for the Beauty Obsessed
- Makeup Artist Gina Brooke Shares Madonna's Beauty Secrets
- Dolce & Gabbana Lip Jewels, Straight Off the Spring 2011 Runway
- Beauty Trends From Milan Fashion Week Spring 2011
- Adriana Lima on Losing Her Baby Weight, Bombshell Fragrance and DIY Workout Tricks
- Win a Harper's Bazaar Accessories Gift Bag - Worth More Than ,200
- Pretty, Competitive: Urban Decay's 'Manhunt' and Matrix's 'Mannequin Mania'
- Gwen Stefani on Red Lipstick, Harajuku Lovers & Career vs. Motherhood
- Givenchy Goes Red for Holiday 2010 with Vintage Makeup Collection
- Would You Wear It? Seven Fashion Week Trends to Try (or Not)
Make Up and Makeup Artist older
- Pat McGrath Launches LeSportSac Makeup Bag, Shares Beauty Travel Tips
- Mission Makeover: From Pretty Plain to Pretty Chic
- Avon's Jillian Dempsey Reveals the One Product You Must Have for Summer, Plus Beach Beauty Tips
- Koh Gen Do to Launch at Barneys in August; Win Your Makeup Trial Kit Here Now!
- Julia Roberts in First Beauty Ad for Lancôme's New Définicils Precious Cells Mascara
- Makeup for Glasses: How to Pair Eye Makeup With Spectacles
- Tony Awards - Scarlett Johansson, Catherine Zeta-Jones Sparkle in Pastel Eye Makeup
- Scientists Discover the Blackest Black Possible - Mascaras, Take Note!
- Cat-Eyes: How To Create the Perfect Winged Tip Eyeliner
- Lancôme's New Définicils Precious Cells Mascara Now Available At Nordstrom