How Can I Get a Smoother Mascara Application - Ask the Editor!
Q: My mascara always looks clumpy. How can I get a smoother application?
A. There are two reasons why your mascara may be clumping.
The first is application. If you load the brush with too much product, it builds up on the lashes and inevitably causes clumping. To avoid mascara overload, wrap a tissue around the brush and gently squeeze off any excess. You'll notice a smoother, more even application every time.
Excessive clumping is also a sign that it's time to replace your mascara.
A tip for when you open your new tube: don't pump the wand in and out. Every time you pump, you're introducing air into the tube, which dries out the product and results in clumping. Instead, swirl the wand in the tube and pull it out.
This technique evenly distributes the product around the brush applicator and helps to keep the product fresher-and clump-free-longer.
Check out more Ask the Editor questions.
Leave a Comment
Tags for How Can I Get a Smoother Mascara Application - Ask the Editor!
Make Up and Makeup Artist newest
- Sephora Launches BeautyTalk, an Online Community for the Beauty Obsessed
- Makeup Artist Gina Brooke Shares Madonna's Beauty Secrets
- Dolce & Gabbana Lip Jewels, Straight Off the Spring 2011 Runway
- Beauty Trends From Milan Fashion Week Spring 2011
- Adriana Lima on Losing Her Baby Weight, Bombshell Fragrance and DIY Workout Tricks
- Win a Harper's Bazaar Accessories Gift Bag - Worth More Than ,200
- Pretty, Competitive: Urban Decay's 'Manhunt' and Matrix's 'Mannequin Mania'
- Gwen Stefani on Red Lipstick, Harajuku Lovers & Career vs. Motherhood
- Givenchy Goes Red for Holiday 2010 with Vintage Makeup Collection
- Would You Wear It? Seven Fashion Week Trends to Try (or Not)
Make Up and Makeup Artist older
- How to Wear Fall's 'Sculpted Neutral' Makeup Trend
- Chanel to Debut Three Khaki Nail Polishes at Fashion's Night Out 2010
- Weird Lipstick Colors - Would You Ever?
- Kat Von D, Jesse James Dating Rumor - Don't Let It Overshadow Her Pretty Fall Makeup Collection
- Women of All Ages Are Using Less Makeup, Research Says
- Jennifer Aniston's 'The Switch' Premiere Makeup Courtesy of Chanel
- Makeover My Mom: Va-Va-Vivian
- Korres Launches Raspberry Liquid Lipstick
- Choose My HSN On-Air Wardrobe...and Win!
- Pür Minerals Debuts Earthly Treasures and Heavenly Delights for Fall