Beauty School Bailout - Federal Stimulus Money for Florida Cosmetology Schools
Federal Stimulus Money may be paying for your manicure. Love that manicure? You many have the US Government to thank.
Photo: Getty Images
According to the The Washington Examiner, The Department of Education has distributed roughly 2.3 million in federal stimulus money to eight cosmetology and massage schools in the Tampa Bay, Florida area.
The money was given in the form of Pell grants to pay tuition for masseuses, hairdressers and manicurists, and does not have to be repaid.
The conservative Examiner, a daily paper in Washington, DC, is outraged, saying "Vocational school is important, sure, but we had no idea that beauty school was considered 'shovel ready.'"
Us, we think it's pretty cool - If stimulus money is being allocated to mainstream colleges - US News & World Report says that the stimulus bill included a several-hundred dollar increase in Pell grants, which is the biggest federal grant awarded to low-income students - why should massage and cosmetology schools be excluded?
Afterall, Beauty School is booming - In June we reported that Empire Beauty Schools, the country's biggest cosmetology educator, has experienced a whopping 33 percent increase in enrollment since 2007.
What do you think? Should beauty schools get bailout dollars? Leave a comment and let us know!
Leave a Comment
Tags for Beauty School Bailout - Federal Stimulus Money for Florida Cosmetology Schools
Make Up and Makeup Artist newest
- Sephora Launches BeautyTalk, an Online Community for the Beauty Obsessed
- Makeup Artist Gina Brooke Shares Madonna's Beauty Secrets
- Dolce & Gabbana Lip Jewels, Straight Off the Spring 2011 Runway
- Beauty Trends From Milan Fashion Week Spring 2011
- Adriana Lima on Losing Her Baby Weight, Bombshell Fragrance and DIY Workout Tricks
- Win a Harper's Bazaar Accessories Gift Bag - Worth More Than ,200
- Pretty, Competitive: Urban Decay's 'Manhunt' and Matrix's 'Mannequin Mania'
- Gwen Stefani on Red Lipstick, Harajuku Lovers & Career vs. Motherhood
- Givenchy Goes Red for Holiday 2010 with Vintage Makeup Collection
- Would You Wear It? Seven Fashion Week Trends to Try (or Not)
Make Up and Makeup Artist older
- Do You Wear Glasses or Contacts? Or Do You Go Sans Eyewear?
- Is Colored Mascara OK for the Mature Set? - Ask the Editor
- Fashion Model How-To: Walk Like A Supermodel - Beauty BLab
- Stila Makeup Player - Get a Beauty Lesson and Play Your Favorite Tunes
- Andie MacDowell, L'Oreal Paris Honored by Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 6 Holiday Beauty Ideas For Your Makeup, Hair and Nails
- Obsession of the Morning: Katie Cassidy's Pretty Messy Hair and Silvery Eye Makeup
- Vampire Style - Would You Get Fang Implants in the Name of Fashion?
- Angelina Jolie Hides Her Tattoos with Cover FX Makeup
- First iPhone App for Plastic Surgery